Accelerated Literacy pedagogy is no magic bullet. It requires a high level of commitment from teachers and leaders over time.
Some factors have shown a positive correlation with NAPLAN outcomes. They are:
- teaching a minimum of four lessons, four hours a week
- strong support from principals, including their attendance at professional development sessions with teachers
- minimal interruptions to lessons (loudspeakers, phones, excursions, lunch monitor)
- teacher volunteerism (that is, the teachers already in the school are happy to use the approach, and new teachers know that training in the pedagogy and using it are conditions of appointment)
- specialist support officers for new teachers.